The Ambassadors Theatre

The Ambassadors Theatre, West Street, London, WC2H 9ND


The Ambassadors Theatre

The Ambassadors Theatre was designed by architect W.G.R Sprague with the intention of being a smaller, more intimate theatre, with an elegant Louis XVI-style auditorium, horseshoe-shaped balcony and underground stalls. It was opened in June 1913 with a short run of the play Panthea by Monckton Hoffe. Impresario Charles B. Cochran took over the lease for the theatre in 1914, recognising its intimate space as being ideal for the more sophisticated Parisian genre of ‘intimate revues’.

Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap opened in November 1952, which became Britain’s longest running production at a single theatre, ending in 1973 before moving to the neighbouring St Martin’s Theatre. The theatre has since hosted many famous stars, including Alan Rickman in Les Liasions Dangereuses, John Hurt in Beckett’s Krapp’s Last Tape and Neve Campbell in Love Song. Other notable productions are Sweeney Todd and Little Shop of Horrors.

In 1996 the theatre was changed to include two studio spaces, but was converted back to its original design in 1999, and renamed The New Ambassadors Theatre. It reverted to its original name in 2007 and has 1,100 seats. The Ambassadors Theatre is at West Street, London, WC2H 9ND, walking distance from Leicester Square tube station.


Now Showing: Stomp

It’s all in the rhythm – a universal language that crosses all borders whether cultural, colourful, ethnic or religious. We can all stamp our feet to the beat, and that is what this amazing show is all about....

Compare Ticket Prices »